Confessions of a Suburban Nightmare

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Blessed Compulsion

"Blessed Day." she says
Not once
not twice
or even the usual thrice,

but as many times as she can possibly fit it in so that atleast one effort is heard.
I wonder if it's compulsive- like how I have to look behind me three times everytime I walk the main road. She says it whenever she ends a sentence in her long goodbye speeches- like she never knows when exactly shes going to walk out the door but just to be safe for the emergency that its before the next sentence, and extra hearty "blessed day" is tacked on the end of the current one.

But what exactly is so blessed about this day? Or the day she said it last week. And of course so- on. Nothing I can imagine, as I'm thumbing through piles, and piles of powder blue insurance papers and making sure they get in the right folder under the right name- that is, if the folder is even to be found under the dim light of the cramped and dusty record haven.
And it seldom is.
Which is why this day is indeed not blessed. Nor this task.

What could she be thinking?

As she talks to the receptionist up front, the conversation is muddled with the awkward placements of her "Oh dear"s and "oh blessed weekend" in all the wrong places at all the wrong times. I can practically see the imagined weight of the world on her shoulders, hovering, demanding another awkward phrase to prove her a lovely person as I spy from behind the file room door. As of this week I can mouth these phrases at all their wrong times in the way shes become so predictable.

She sounds dizzy- in the way the lady down the street sounds dizzy as she calls hello yet sounds as if shes already gone on to the invisible person behind you for another pointless conversation.

But maybe I judge too quickly. She could quite possible really mean it.
But then- what is so blessed about having to return the same time next week, and next week- and well you know.

Votes for Sainthood I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home