Confessions of a Suburban Nightmare

Friday, December 23, 2005

Play 10- December 23-Better.

Intro Note: I'm back! Yeah, I had to put it aside due to gruesome amounts of school work but now I can continue and hopefully keep going. Hate school, love writing. Enjoy.


"Better"

Sandy:f 25
Mark: m27

(Mark and Sandy have been dating about a month. The setting: central park. The event: holiday gift exchange. The premise: Sandy gives Mark her gift (all the camera sees is the box part of it as the contents could be anything at all) and Mark doesn’t know how to react as he obviously dislikes the gift)


Sandy:
Ta da!

Mark:
(looking down at box in silence)

Sandy:
Soo… you like it?

Mark:
(stunned silence)
Well..I uh…
(silence)


Sandy:
You hate it.


Mark:
No… it’s just


Sandy:
It’s all wrong isn’t it?

Mark:
Well no but

Sandy:
Shit Mark, I just- I thought I had really outdone myself this year. I really thought you’d like it. I just- I just thought maybe I could surprise you this year…make you smile.

Mark:
Oh Sandy..

(very long silence as Sandy contemplates)
Sandy:
But what I really wanted to tell you was…that- that I love you.

Mark:
(perks up)
Really?

Sandy:
Yeah. But maybe not even that’s gonna work for you.
(looks down at ground)

Mark:
Sandy (beat) look at me.

Sandy:
(sulking)
Why?

Mark:
C’mon just do it

Sandy:
(sighs)

Mark:
(delicately puts his hand under her chin and lifts her face towards his)
(looks softly into her eyes)
Am I smiling?

Sandy:
(silent)

Mark:
C’mon. It’s not a hard question. Yes or no. Am I smiling.

Sandy:
(mumbles)
yes..

Mark:
What’s that?

Sandy:
(mumbles)
yes

Mark:
You know what…I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that. Could you say it again miss?

Sandy:
Yes.

Mark:
See? (pause) and I would say I’m pretty darn surprised. I don’t care about objects- c’mon Sandy, you know that. What you just said….that was the greatest present I’ve ever gotten. Now say it again.

Sandy:
I love you

Mark:
(smiles)
I love you too Sandy
(leans in, they kiss, camera pans out with snow blowing around them. End scene)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home