Confessions of a Suburban Nightmare

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Play 5-November 19th-Things Have Changed

Intro:
Okay- so I have to do a little introducing to this one. I have to admit I cheated a little today and for today's play I used a scene I wrote over the summer(yay for CSSSA assignments!). My brain is dead and needs recharging (aka sleep) Yes, I know it needs revisions. But for all you out there who I know are counting on me now to help them procrastinate in whatever homework activity they should be doing- here you go.

THINGS HAVE CHANGED

JACKIE: age: 13
ANDREW: age: 14


(Walking home from school on side of the road grasping on to backpack straps. )


ANDREW:
So are you goin to that party at Drake Wilson’s tonight?


JACKIE:
(looks down at ground)
No, I’ve got to like study…and give my dog a bath.


ANDREW:
Jacks, you never study and…you don’t have a dog.


JACKIE:
Oh, your right…I guess I don’t
(looks off in another direction)


(long silence)


ANDREW:
So uh did you have fun on Friday?

(silence)

ANDREW:
Jackie?


JACKIE:
What? Oh, yeah sure tons of fun.
(looks back down at ground)


ANDREW:
Jacks, is there…something wrong. Someone givin you trouble?


JACKIE:
Yeah actually, now that you mention it.


ANDREW:
Who?


JACKIE:
You.


ANDREW:
What?


JACKIE:
Oh don’t play oblivious. God, you always do this. Like, even on Friday, you pulled that type of crap and didn’t realize I actually cared!


ANDREW:
What did I do?


JACKIE:
You slow-danced with her.


ANDREW:
(pause)
Who?


JACKIE:
That girl. Melinda something-or-other.


ANDREW:
Oh.
(pause)
Was that her name?


JACKIE:
You don’t even know?!



ANDREW:
Look, we just slow danced… its not like she’s my girlfriend or anything.
(pause)
Why do you care anyway?


JACKIE:
(long pause)
It’s like- It’s like she was replacing me.


ANDREW:
What?


JACKIE:
See. I knew you wouldn’t understand.


ANDREW:
What’s there to understand? Jackie, you’ve been my best friend since we were seven years old…we’ve done everything together—


JACKIE:
Yeah, yeah, I know. We’ve fallen off our first bikes together, built our first campfire…even got poison ivy and chicken pocks at the same time…you were even there when my mom died…


(long pause as they finally look at each other, gazing.)


JACKIE:
(snapping out of it)
But that’s beside the point. There you go trying to change the subject like you’re always doing in Mrs. Kaisers…why can’t you stay on one subject?



ANDREW:
I’m sorry…but what was so important about it? It’s just a girl…and besides I don’t even like her that much.


JACKIE:
I just don’t like it.


ANDREW:
What. So I’m liking girls now…do you have a problem with that?


JACKIE:
(long silence)


ANDREW:
So answer me!


JACKIE:
(long silence)


ANDREW:
Jacks, come one what do you want? I can’t know if you don’t tell me.


JACKIE:
It’s not me you’re liking!!


(long pause)


ANDREW:
What?


JACKIE:
I don’t know…I just like you…I think.


ANDREW:
Jacks, come on…stop joking around.


JACKIE:
I’m not joking.

ANDREW:
You’ve got to be.


JACKIE:
Andrew! I like you okay?! I can’t keep that from you anymore.


ANDREW:
Jackie, I-


JACKIE:
What.


ANDREW:
I’m sorry, but I don’t like you like that…I mean I love you Jacks…. but only as my best friend.


JACKIE:
It’s not enough anymore…


ANDREW:
Why?


JACKIE:
Because I can’t watch you like-like someone else…it hurts too much. I was always so comfortable with you…but not anymore…I feel…different.


ANDREW:
But Jacks-


JACKIE:
Don’t.


ANDREW:
But I could-


JACKIE:
No, if you don’t want me than don’t take me…that just makes it worse. I’m walking home alone…don’t try to catch up with me. In fact, don’t ever try to catch up with me.
(pause)
Things have changed Andrew.
(Jackie exits stage leaving Andrew alone)


(lights dim, end scene)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home